Happy new year!

Happy New Year! The past week I've been focusing on polishing online multiplayer and preparing a presskit to send out to journalists. The presskit contains videos, WebMs, screenshots, and lots of information. It took me two full days of work to prepare. If you are a game journalist, or know one that might be interested, please contact me.

I've changed how bots spawn in multiplayer servers. I added a 'minimum players' setting. Let's say it's set to 5, and there is one person in the game: 4 bots would be spawned. If another player enters, one bot will exit. If a player exits, a bot will enter. And if there are five clients connected, no bots will spawn. This allows for a more consistent online experience.

I've improved a few other online things as well, such as UDP disconnection detection, max laps and max kills are settable, no more slight vehicle drift when you are idle, the timing of certain things has been tweaked for networking reasons.

There have been a ton of small changes too, such as adding lights to the tutorial levels, adding guide arrows for the figure eight level, adding different arrows to the final level, adding the antagonist to the final level as well as coding up a way for him to address the player before returning to his original location.

🔗

Christmas week progress

Happy Holidays!

The past week I've been focusing on a few things. First of all I remixed most of the sound files and I added in basic sound panning. So now sounds left of center are louder in the left speaker and vice versa. Was a really simple thing to add, only took a few minutes, and was long overdue.

The next thing I focused on was the final boss battle. I have the basic 'mission' programmed now, and the new entities required to pull it off have been polished a bit more. I still have quite a bit of work left to do on the final level, but it is at least playable now.

The third area that I focused on was multiplayer. It had been awhile since I tested online with more than two people, and was pretty upset to learn that something broke in the meantime. The clients were not syncing position with one another. I dug into the code and soon discovered that I left out a single colon in the serialization code. I added the colon back in and everything was operational.

I went on to polish multiplayer some more. I did a lot of testing with a packet tampering program called Clumsy (which I strongly recommend to anyone doing online multiplayer gamedev). The tool unearthed a few bugs that I hadn't noticed, bugs which were quickly fixed.

As for other news, Vektor Prix is entering it's second week on greenlight and needs all the support it can get. Votes, tweets, hype, anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

🔗

Now on Greenlight!

The past week I've been working on extra polish. It started out with a small glow effect that I created, I was pretty happy with it and after applying it to a ton of things I decided to focus on lighting.

I created a relatively simple lighting system and attached it to the in-game lamp models. Then I added a nice glow effect at the source of the light and repositioned the lamps on every level. By tinting lamps slightly different colors, I'm able to make different parts of a level stand out.

The lights are dynamic as well. I'm able to destroy them (or any other detail object around the level). I know it's a small detail, but I always enjoyed being able to shoot the lights out in certain games. Lights are attached to moving objects as well, vehicles firing weapons, missiles, mines, there are a lot of lights now.

There have been a ton of other changes as well, small things like rebalancing easy mode to actually be easy again, adding additional display settings, some small progress on the final level, as well as a bucket of bugfixes.

As for other news, I've finally set up a Greenlight page for Vektor Prix! I set it up a few days ago, so it's still brand new and could really use your votes, tweets, hype, anything really.

🔗